|Get Well Soon Bear from my Daughter|
Sunday, May 15, 2011
An Event, Delays, and a Witness of Faith.
Thursday morning (around 2am) my Appendix started to leak. There were the classic symptoms of appendicitis... pain on right side, shock, vomiting, and overall pain. Kristi is out of town. At first I thought it was something I had eaten. Appendixes are not something we ‘50+’ are told to worry about. I had intended to go in for a follow-up to my Tuesday physical on Friday morning, so I waited it out. Friday came, I went in for my follow-up, get the fasting blood work, and ‘Oh, wanted to talk about one more thing with the Dr.’. Well, he bounced me up and down (that hurt). Listened to my story of Thursday’s early morning event, poked some (that also hurt). Noted my temp was slightly elevated and concluded: You are showing classic indication of appendicitis. We are going to get you in for a CT scan and assuming that confirms get you operated on today.
The CT scan confirmed and they had me in the OR Friday evening. Three small holes later (complete with three band-aids!) I was back in my hospital room by 8pm and already feeling better.
Have not slowed down to really assess or let sink in what has happened over the past few days. It is my personality to not dwell on the What Could Have Beens, and perhaps I am making light of this whole thing. However, I am going to get a bit philosophical now . . .
Insurance kicked in only two weeks ago. Had just ‘located’ a doctor the Tuesday before. (I remember overhearing my Doctor talking to his staff “We know nothing about this guy, he showed up Tuesday for a Physical, and is back in 3 days later presenting an appendicitis”) In the post-op meeting the Surgeon said things had started to leak and spread, but was localized. However in a couple more days that might not have been the case… I was “feeling better” Friday. Discomfort was reducing. Could it be had some of the above not been in place might I have delayed things a few more days till my body started falling off the edge?
Stepping back some: I have personally had, and been witness to, Larger Things where the paths forward had many options. In looking back on many of those, there were so many opportunities for things to go so very very wrong - but they did not. And no, all those 'paths' were not determination by Human Choice. In the end the paths that WERE taken led to success – and this is what I point to as a Confirmation of Faith. In MY words: we are not alone, we are being watched over ready to give a hand – if only we will listen. And this gives me comfort when facing life’s Big Unknown’s. And here is one of the top things that draws me to this lifestyle we are embarking on: Get closer to Nature, get closer to yourself. Be able to listen, feel, and hear. - - Hear, not just with your ears.
Impact: We will delay our departure a month. Have already extended the apartment through the end of June. Garage and Slip as well. Notified the Lift Deck I will not be able to haul out in a week – perhaps will look to mid June, need to close on the deck availability Monday. Am a bit sad at the delay, it is PRIME cruising times up north right now. Very sunny and moderate temps in the shadow of the Olympic Peninsula. But we will get there, and late June promises a higher chance of Smooth Water heading north. (But do not want to delay much beyond that. As when the Pacific High starts to settle in we will start getting winds from the North, which would put waves On The Nose. Not the most comfortable point of sail).
And finally: It has warmed my heart the voices of concern and offers of assistance which have reached out these past two days. Even with little communication out (perhaps Kristi’s Facebook posts had the largest reach), I do appreciate the kinds words, offers, and thoughts.