Sunday, March 27, 2011

Activity on Many Fronts!

How many Active Projects can you see in this photo?
 (I count 6 - plus one future)


It has been pointed out that I tend to work more than one project at a time, and this is true for two reasons.  First, is if I get to a stopping point, e.g. supplies needed, this allows me to move over to other tasks while I either make a shopping list, or wait for parts to arrive.  The other reason to be honest, is it keeps me from getting bored..  I guess a 3rd reason would be weather - no reason to be working outside when it is blowing cold, just wait a few hours and it will clear up!
This approach does however tend to turn Viking Star into a total disaster area.  And we are in the midst of it.  At this point, I am working the following:
  • Batteries: almost done with the relocation.  Need to finish up the heavy wire to the forward power distribution point (will pick up the main engine alternator at the same time), and run the wires back to the generator.  Also need to paint the battery box cover.
  • Aft cabin cork floors:  Started the trim around the raw edges.  Have most all of it glued, next step will be a bit of sanding and a varnish cycle.
  • Relocating Inverters.  This is also mostly completed, however I need to re-wire up the air compressor.  Am taking the time to also switch over the search light from the 12v bulb which has not been made for 22+ years (and is totally unavailable) to a more common 28v bulb.   Plus we will grow from 200w to 600w! FYI:  The new bulb is the same one the 747's use for their landing lights.
  • Shelving in forward engine room.  This uses the space freed up when we moved the batteries back.  Painting is the next (and final) step..
  • A bit more storage
  • Cleaning up overhead above stairs to aft cabin.  This is some simple cabinet building, and will hold the AIS Black Box, our WiFi repeater, as well as a spot reserved for future installation of  an auto radio.  Need to glue on veneer mahogany, and start a varnish cycle.
  • At the same time, I have cut and will glue some mahogany next to the refrigerator opening.  Have put on hold any ideas of making a finished cabinet around the refrigerator.
  • Aft cabin door:  Need to mount a bit more trim around the door opening, and do a varnish cycle.
  • Wine Glass Rack - have cut some wood, but need to do more trials to decide design.
  • Custom electrical panels:  Upgraded the Navigation electrical sub panel, installed the Propane panel.  Need to finish installing switches and bolt them down.





As you can see, I am working up to a varnish cycle on several items.  Will likely start that Tuesday, or maybe Monday.  And even with all this, some things have been 'completed' - installed Barameter and Wind Guage, new washer / dryer.
Oh, and am starting to work on the garage some.  Pulled another 5 tubs yesterday, and looking to make a scrap metal run this week - perhaps some Dumpster filling as well.. . . .



Next up once the above winds down:  Aft cabin cork flooring, pick back up the hydronic heater, order and install water maker parts, aft head, holding tank pumpout.  Then get ready for Haul Out, and painting entire boat.

No comments:

Post a Comment