I did not get very far.
We did not need to use the Watermaker this summer, as shore-side water was readily available. So the system just sat happy in the pickling juice. When I fired up the unit yesterday, I could not get any pre-boost pressure - the pre-filters were all clogged! Upon inspection I noticed that the head assembly had bits of white plastic in them. Further inspection showed where that all that came from.
Here is a photo of the head unit (above). Notice the large On/Off handle on the top? This shuttles a small white plastic assembly inside the head back and forth, you can see it (below).
However, take a look at a different head unit. Notice anything missing?
Yup, here it is:
|And you should see the other guy!|
This one shows clear signs of being dissolved away.
All three heads had these shuttles damaged. They really looked like they had been eaten-away, and in fact some of the plastic was still soft and pliable when I pulled the parts out. I can only assume the pickling solution attacked this plastic. Wow. Not going to think about that one too much. (or, maybe it was a band of Polymites that tried to attack Viking Star. Finding no plastic to eat, they went for the Filter housings! Polymites, the scourge of Tupperware boats everywhere!)
Today I picked up three replacement filter units. The lower-cost ones without the fancy 'valving' at the top. Though these new units come with a solid blue plastic filter housing, the threads are the same and I can reuse the clear housing from the old heads.
|Replacement - No Valve Handle|
|And no White Plastic to fail|
But bottom line: know that there is something that attacks those fancy filter heads. Given the usage, there is really no need for the on/off valves - I just chose them because I liked the clear housing. But if you are sourcing these, get the simpler ones.